30 August 2011
Deaf Rave in the Independent Newspaper
Deaf disco turns up the bass for hard of hearing
Tuesday, 30 August 2011
First there was Death Disco, now there is deaf disco. Or, more accurately, a "multi-sensory club night for both the hearing and hearing-impaired".
A groundbreaking event which has earned a loyal following in the Netherlands, Finland, South Africa and Australia is arriving in the UK, hoping to bring together deaf and other revellers.
The attractions at Sencity London 2011 will include a vibrating dance floor, aroma jockeys who pump the air full of different scents to accompany the music, as well as signing dancers who interpret tracks for hearing-impaired club-goers.
There will be a host of other non-audio sensory stimulation on offer to augment the music, including hair dressers, masseurs and make-up artists.
Also playing will be deaf rapper Signmark from Finland, who uses sign language to communicate his lyrics, as well as DJ Chinaman from the long-running Deaf Rave.
The event at IndigO2 at the O2 arena in London is organised by an eight-strong team of deaf and hearing-impaired young people. They are hoping to attract 1,500 people, aged between 18 and 35, in October.
The director of the British show, Nienke van der Peet, said there was still a lot of misunderstanding surrounding deaf people.
"The idea is to bring people together because still today some people can be a little frightened by deaf people. Even older people can still refer to people with no hearing as being deaf and dumb. But the idea of this night is to show that deaf people can be just as cool and fun as hearing people," she said.
"The only difference is language. They still go out and enjoy music but experience it in different ways."
- MAY 20 - Volunteering at a Music Festival
- MAY 01 - Deaf Rave - Notting Hill Carnival 2013?
- APR 10 - Deaf Rave Music Production Workshop
- JAN 25 - Bloch Healing Touch Psychotherapy
- JAN 02 - Deaf Rave Music Production workshop
- SEP 02 - Deaf Rave in Metro Papers
- JUL 11 - Fair Care for the Future - Sense
- JUN 19 - Hotel Metropolitan Kantipur
- JUN 14 - Deaf Rave Music Production workshop
- JUN 06 - Deaf Rave Asian Tour 2012 FB links
- FEB 07 - male deaf actor wanted - Hollyoaks
- DEC 10 - Deaf Rave Xmas Bash
- DEC 10 - How to get DR Xmas Bash party
- NOV 10 - Latest Flash News from Deaf Rave team
- AUG 30 - Deaf Rave in the Independent Newspaper
- AUG 30 - Deaf Rave in India Newspaper Aug 2011
- JUL 20 - DJ Chinaman writes his name on the wall!
- JUN 01 - Deaf Rave Hat Party Video
- MAY 01 - Deaf Rave Hat Party Photos
- MAY 09 - Deaf Studies fighting to stay open!!
- MAY 01 - Deaf Rave raised £1000 for Vietnam
- MAY 01 - Deaf Rave Hat Party
- APR 06 - BDA Congress 2010
- JAN 01 - Deaf Schools Must Stay OPEN!
- MAY 01 - Deaf Rave Hat Party
- JAN 15 - Mentoring scheme Disabilities with BBC
- JUN 24 - Deaf Zone @ Glastonbury Festival
- JUN 22 - Deaf Rave Interview with Wellcome Trust
- MAY 29 - DJ Chinaman @ Vietnam & Far East!
- MAY 24 - Grateful Deaf American Pale Ale
- APR 16 - Chinaman Radio Interview on 92.4 FM
- APR 10 - Deaf Travel
- MAR 31 - Thank You to Everyone!
- MAR 28 - Deaf Rave Rush Hour & After Party
- MAR 28 - Deaf Rave updates Feb-April 09
- OCT 18 - Open Sign - Tyst Teater - Sweden
- JAN 01 - tEaM kLyO eXtReM™ iS NoT CrImE
- SEP 09 - R.I.P to Deaf Rastaman Pierre
- JUN 15 - D/R in the UK & Italian Newspaper
- JUL 29 - Deaf Rave on Current TV and You Tube
- MAY 13 - Drop Clause 14/4/9 of the HFE Bill
- MAY 06 - Deaf Rave in France - Lyon & Toulouse!
- FEB 16 - Deaf Rave back on Tour! To HOLLAND!
- JAN 01 - Rastafarideaf France Breakdancer
- JAN 01 - Happy NYE every1 & all the best in 08!
- NOV 30 - Frank Barns School Protest
- OCT 24 - Deaf Rave New Years Eve Party
- OCT 02 - The Show of Chavi coming to London!
- AUG 20 - BSL Human Rights E-Petition
- JUL 07 - WFD in Madrid, Spain & photo's
- JUL 07 - Deaf Rave Photo's in France
- MAR 19 - Deaf Rave Tour
- FEB 22 - Sign Matters part 1
- JAN 22 - Sign Matters part 2
- JAN 22 - Sign Matters part 3